Friday, May 3, 2013

Last Blast


            Hello again! Today I want to write about my experience at the Last Blast Event at Moraine Park’s Fond du Lac campus. The Last Blast is an event for students and staff to come relax and enjoy the entertainment, free lunch, door prizes, and a receive a free shirt. It was held on April 24 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. This year’s theme was “blast from the past” incorporating oldies songs, root beer floats, and old style décor such as a jukebox and classic cars. The entertainment for the event was a ventriloquist who incorporated students and faculty into his show, which earned laughs from the audience.
            Before the event could start it was brought to my attention that they needed help to set up for the event. I gladly volunteered to help the night before. We were very productive that Tuesday night before the event, setting up what we could. I helped set up the classic car cut outs and helped with the balloons. That Tuesday night we got as far as we could go and would come in on Wednesday morning to finish the set up. We all arrived around 9:00 a.m. Wednesday morning to set up what was left. I helped with the photo booth and the free t-shirt stand. Everything went well and went quickly and efficiently and I would like to thank everyone that was there Tuesday night and Wednesday. Without all the help we wouldn’t have been able to pull it off.  
            This event was quite popular! Out of the 300 free t-shirts we had we gave away all but 30 or so. I’ve never seen the cafeteria this packed for an event. As a student or staff member you really couldn’t afford to miss this event. Lunch was provided to you at no cost with a student or staff ID or if no ID was shown you needed only to pay $1 for lunch. There were 53 door prizes given away including; Summerfest tickets, Brewers tickets, State Fair tickets, folding chairs, a grill, gift cards, and so much more. The door prizes were open to all who attended the event. I myself was lucky enough to win a Wal-Mart gift card! I attended the t-shirt stand with 4 other people we’d all take turns attending to the booth while each other got their meal. It was nice to give away free t-shirts and say hello and chat with students and faculty members passing by. I know I saw quite a few familiar faces that came through. But it also was a good time to say hello and chat with unfamiliar faces. Students and staff are very friendly at MPTC, at events like this I encourage you to take the time and go say hi to an unfamiliar face, who knows it could be a beginning of a brand new relationship.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment